The Title Search Process
If you’ve ever purchased a home, you have likely also purchased title insurance. But do you know what it really takes to properly insure the title to your property? A few things you may not know about the process:
- A title order begins with an in-depth search starting with a review of public records.
- The search can be complex because, depending on your geographic location, property information may be filed any number of ways.
- Title companies, like First American, have created systematic search methods and large information databases that lead to faster and more accurate research.
- Title searches uncover possible title issues, like liens, judgments and information on prior loans, sewer assessments taxes and other issues.
- Newly constructed properties still require a thorough search, as the land has likely changed hands many times, and there is no guarantee that subcontractors or suppliers have not placed liens on the property.
- The data collected from a title search helps reduce the risk of future title problems with your home and makes your title policy—and the process of underwriting it—a valuable investment.