Effective: October 1, 2019
Notice Last Updated: October 1, 2019
This Privacy Notice describes how First American Financial Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates (together referred to as "First American," "we," "us," or "our") collect, use, store, and share your information.
This Privacy Notice applies to information we receive from or about you: (1) when you access or use our mobile applications ("Applications"), websites ("Websites"), or products and/or services ("Products"); (2) when you communicate with us in any manner, including by email, telephone, and in person; and (3) from third party sources.
Please read this Privacy Notice carefully. The practices described in this Privacy Notice are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate.
BY ACCESSING AND USING OUR APPLICATIONS, WEBSITES, AND/OR PRODUCTS, OR BY COMMUNICATING WITH US IN ANY MANNER, YOU REPRESENT THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THIS PRIVACY NOTICE.
First American Fair Information Values
We collect, use, and share your personal information consistent with First American's Fair Information Values:
Fairness. We consider your expectations of privacy in all of our business operations, and strive to offer our Applications, Websites, and Products in a way that ensures a favorable balance between the benefits we offer and your privacy.
Public Record. We believe that an open public record creates significant value for society, enhances your choice, and creates opportunity. We actively support an open public record and emphasize its importance and contribution to our economy.
Use. We believe we should behave responsibly when we use your personal information.We will obey the applicable laws governing the collection, use, storage, and sharing of your personal information.
Accuracy. We will take reasonable steps to help assure the accuracy of the personal information we collect, use, store, and share from and about you. Where possible, we will take reasonable steps to correct inaccurate information. When, as with the public record, we cannot correct the inaccurate information, we will take all reasonable steps to assist you in identifying the source of the erroneous information so that you can secure the required corrections.
Education. We endeavor to educate the users of our Applications, Websites, and Products, our employees and others in our industry about the importance of your privacy. We will instruct our employees on our Fair Information Values and on the responsible collection, use, storage, and sharing of your personal information. We will encourage others in our industry to collect, use, store, and share your personal information in a responsible manner.
Security. We will maintain commercially reasonable technical, organizational, and physical safeguards to protect your personal information.
What Type of Information Do We Collect About You?
Depending upon the Applications, Websites, or Products you access or use, the nature of your communications with us, and the applicable laws, we may collect both personal and non-personal information about and from you.
Personal information is non-public information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify or contact you. Examples of categories of personal information include, but may not be limited to:
- Name, alias, or social media handle
- Date of birth
- Unique online identifier
- Online username and password
- Postal and/or e-mail address
- Account name and/or account number
- Social security number
- Driver's license number
- Passport number
- State identification number
- Bank, credit, or debit card number
- Financial information
- Insurance policy number
- Biometric information
- License plate information
Non-personal information is any other type of information. Examples of non-personal information include, but may not be limited to:
- Publicly available information
- Aggregate or de-identified information
- Browser type and version
- Browser settings
- Browser plug-in types and versions
- Operating systems and platform
- Device type and operating information
- Mobile carrier
- Page response time and download errors
- Time zone
- Zip code
How Do We Collect Your Information?
We collect your personal and non-personal information in three ways:
Directly from you when you access or use our Applications, Websites, or Products, or when you communicate with us in any manner, including but not limited to:
- Information you provide by filling forms on our Applications and/or Websites, including information provided at the time of registering for any Product or event, posting material or requesting further services or information;
- Information you provide when you access or use our Products;
- Information you provide when you enter a sweepstakes, contest or promotion sponsored or offered by us;
- Information you provide when you report a problem with our Applications or Websites;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (e.g., email address) if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete;
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Applications, Websites, and the fulfillment of your orders; and
- Your search queries on the Websites.
Automatically when you access or use our Applications, Websites, or Products, or when you communicate with us, including but not limited to:
- Details of your visits to the Websites, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data;
- Information about your computer and mobile device, and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type; and
- Interactivity with an e-mail, including opening, navigating, and click-through information.
From third parties, including business partners and affiliates, including but not limited to:
- Statistical data relating to your Application or Website activity;
- Social media profile information and activity, including your screen names, profile picture, contact information, contact list, and the profile pictures of your contacts, through the social media platform;
- Transactional histories with third parties; and
- Information from public sources, including local, state, and federal government agencies and departments.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We may use your personal information in variety of ways, including but not limited to:
- Provide the Applications and Websites to you;
- Provide the Products you have requested;
- Fulfill a transaction you requested or service your policy;
- Handle a claim;
- Create and manage your account;
- Operate the Applications and Websites, including access management, payment processing, Application and/or Website administration, internal operations, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, and for statistical purposes;
- Respond to your requests, feedback, or inquiries;
- Comply with laws, regulations, and other legal requirements;
- Comply with relevant industry standards and our policies;
- Protect and enforce your rights and the rights of other users against unlawful activity, including identity theft and fraud;
- Protect and enforce our collective rights arising under any agreements entered into between First American and you or any other third party;
- Protect the integrity and maintain security of our Applications, Websites, and Products;
- Operate, evaluate, and improve our business; and
- Provide you with information and advertisements about products, services, and promotions, from us or third parties, that may interest you.
We may use your non-personal information for any purpose, including but not limited to:
- Deliver content tailored to your interests and the manner in which you use the Applications and/or Websites;
- Present content in a manner that is optimized for your device; and
- Measure and analyze the effectiveness of the Applications, Websites, and Products we provide to you.
How Do We Share Your Personal Information?
We do not sell your personal information to nonaffiliated third parties. We will only share your personal information, including to subsidiaries, affiliates, and to unaffiliated third parties in the following situations:
- In a business transfer. We may disclose your personal information as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger or acquisition, joint venture, corporate reorganization, financing, or sale of company assets, or in the unlikely event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, in which such information could be transferred to third-parties as a business asset in the transaction.
- To service providers. We may disclose your personal information to third-party vendors and partners who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf (e.g., credit / debit card processing, billing, shipping, repair, customer service, auditing, marketing).
- To subsidiaries and affiliates. We may disclose your personal information to subsidiaries and affiliates to further facilitate your use of our Applications, Websites, and Products, and to ensure the smooth and consistent operations of First American.
For legal process and protection. We may disclose your personal information to satisfy any law, regulation, legal process, governmental request, or where we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to:
- Enforce or apply agreements, or initiate, render, bill, and collect for Products;
- Protect our rights or interests, property or safety or that of others;
- In connection with claims, disputes, or litigation - in court or elsewhere;
- Protect users of our Applications, Websites, and Products and other carriers or providers from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use of, or subscription to, such services;
- Facilitate or verify the appropriate calculation of taxes, fees, or other obligations due to a local, state, or federal government; or
- In case of an emergency.
Your California RightsOnly applies to CA residents
If you are a California resident under the age of 18, California Business and Professions Code § 22581 permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted on any of our Applications or Websites. To make such a request, please send an email with a detailed description of the specific content or information to email@example.com. Please be aware that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted and there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal even if requested.