This Policy applies wherever it is posted. To the extent a First American subsidiary or affiliate has different privacy practices, such entity shall have their own privacy statement posted as applicable.
If you are a California resident, click here for specific disclosures about how we collect, use, store and disclose your personal information, along with your privacy rights.
Notice of Collection
What Type of Information Do We Collect About You?
Depending upon how you interact with our Sites and Services, the nature of your Communications, and the nature of our interaction with Third Parties, we may collect the following information from and about you:
- Direct identifiers, including but not limited to your unique online identifier, name, alias, social media handle, IP address, username and password, postal and/or e-mail address, phone number, account name and/or account number, social security number, driver's license number, passport number, and/or state identification number.
- Related identifiers, including but not limited to your date of birth, bank, credit, or debit card number, financial information, insurance policy number, and/or license plate information.
- Physical characteristics, including protected characteristics under federal and state law, such as age, sex, race, and ethnicity.
- Commercial information, including records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, and other purchasing and consuming histories and tendencies.
- Biometric information, such as fingerprints.
- Internet or other electronic network activity information, with our Sites and in Communications, including browser type and version, browser settings, operating systems and platform, device type, operating information, mobile carrier, and page response time and download errors.
- Geolocation data, such as your zip code and time zone.
- Audio, electronic, visual, and thermal information, including telephone recordings, electronic communication records, security camera footage from applicable First American properties, and temperature reading.
- Professional or employment-related information, such as your work history, salary history, and education history.
How Do We Collect Your Information?
We collect your personal information in three ways:
Directly from you when you access or use our Sites or Services, conduct business dealings with us in the B2B context or when you communicate with us in any manner, including but not limited to:
- Personal information you provide by filling out forms in person or electronically through our Sites, including information provided at the time of registering for any Service or event, posting material, or requesting further services or information;
- Personal information you provide when you access or use our Services;
- Personal information you provide when you conduct B2B dealings with us;
- Personal information you provide when you enter a sweepstakes, contest or promotion sponsored or offered by us;
- Personal information you provide when you report a problem with our Sites;
- Records and copies of your correspondence (e.g., email address) if you contact us;
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete;
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Sites, and the fulfillment of your orders; and
- Your search queries on the Sites.
Automatically when you access or use our Sites, Services, conduct business dealings or when you communicate with us, including but not limited to:
- Details of your visits to the Sites, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data;
- Information about your computer and mobile device, and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type; and
- Interactivity with an e-mail, including opening, navigating, and click-through information.
From Third Parties, including but not limited to:
- Data analytics providers for the purpose of receiving statistical data about your activity on our Sites;
- Social media networks for the purpose of collecting certain of your social media profile information and activity, including your screen names, profile picture, contact information, contact list, and the profile pictures of your contacts, through the social media platform;
- Service providers, including but not limited to internet service providers, fraud prevention services, and related partners; and
- Public sources, including local, state, and federal government agencies and departments, to facilitate your use of the Sites, and to provide you with our Services.
How Do We Use Your Information?
We use the personal information outlined in What Type of Information Do We Collect About You for a variety of business and commercial purposes, including but not limited to:
- Provide the Sites to you;
- Provide the Services you have requested;
- Conduct business dealings with you;
- Fulfill a transaction you requested or service your policy;
- Handle a claim;
- Create and manage your account between First American and you or any other Third Party;
- Operate the Sites, including access management, payment processing, Site administration, internal operations, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, and for statistical purposes;
- Respond to your requests, feedback, or inquiries;
- Comply with laws, regulations, and other legal requirements;
- Comply with relevant industry standards and our policies;
- Protect and enforce your rights and the rights of other users against unlawful activity, including identity theft and fraud;
- Protect and enforce our collective rights arising under any agreements entered between First American and you or any other Third Party;
- Protect the integrity and maintain security of our Sites and Services;
- Operate, evaluate, and improve our business;
- Provide you with information and advertisements about products, services, and promotions, from us or affiliates, that may interest you;
- Deliver content tailored to your interests and the way you use the Sites;
- Present content in a manner that is optimized for your device; and
- Measure and analyze the effectiveness of the Sites and Services we provide to you.
How Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
We do not sell your personal information or share your personal information for cross-context behavioral advertising. We may, however, disclose personal information referenced in What Type of Information Do We Collect About You with others for a variety of business and commercial purposes, including:
- In a business transfer. We may disclose your personal information as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger or acquisition, joint venture, corporate reorganization, financing, or sale of company assets, or in the unlikely event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, in which such information could be transferred to Third Parties as a business asset in the transaction.
- To non-affiliated third parties, such as service providers and contractors. We may disclose your personal information with other parties, such as service providers and contractors, to facilitate your access and use of our Sites and Services, including but not limited to internet service providers, advertising networks, data analytics providers, governmental entities, operating systems and platforms, social medial networks, and service providers who provide us a service (e.g., credit / debit card processing, billing, shipping, repair, customer service, auditing, marketing, debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality on our Sites or Services, and/or protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity).
- To subsidiaries and affiliates. We may disclose your personal information with our First American subsidiaries and affiliates to further facilitate your use of our Sites and Services, and to ensure the smooth and consistent operations of First American by identifying and repairing errors that impede intended functionality and to protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity.
- For legal process and protection. We may disclose your personal information to satisfy any law, regulation, legal process, governmental request, or where we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to:
- Enforce or apply agreements, or initiate, render, bill, and collect for Services;
- Protect our rights or interests, property or safety or that of others;
- In connection with claims, disputes, or litigation - in court or elsewhere;
- Protect users of our Sites and Services and other carriers or providers from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful use of, or subscription to, such services; and
- Facilitate or verify the appropriate calculation of taxes, fees, or other obligations due to a local, state, or federal government.
Links To Third Party Sites
Our Sites may contain links to Third Party websites and services. Please note that these links are provided for your convenience and information, and the websites and services may operate independently from us and have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review. This Policy applies to our Sites only, and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for the policies or practices of any Third Parties.
Third Party Tracking / Do Not Track
Our Sites may, from time to time, collect information about your online activities, over time and across our different Sites. When you use our Sites, third parties may also collect information about your online activities, over time and across different internet websites, online or cloud computing services, online applications, or mobile applications. Some browsers support a "Do Not Track" feature, which is intended to be a signal to websites that you do not wish to be tracked across different websites you visit. Our Sites do not currently change the way they operate based upon detection of a "Do Not Track" or similar signal.
Social Media Integration
Our Sites and/or Services may, from time to time, contain links to and from social media platforms. You may choose to connect to us through a social media platform, such as Facebook or Twitter. When you do, we may collect additional information from or about you, such as your screen names, profile picture, contact information, contact list, and the profile pictures of your contacts, through the social media platform. Please be advised that social media platforms may also collect information from you. We do not have control over the collection, use and sharing practices of social media platforms. We therefore encourage you to review their usage and disclosure policies and practices, including their data security practices, before using the social media platforms.
How Do We Store and Protect Your Personal Information?
Although no system can guarantee the complete security of your personal information, we take all commercially reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected in alignment with all applicable laws and regulations, as appropriate to the sensitivity of your personal information.
How Long Do We Keep Your Personal Information?
We keep your personal information for as long as necessary in accordance with the purpose for which it was collected, our business needs, and/or our legal and regulatory obligations. If we dispose of your information, we will do so in a way that is secure and appropriate to nature of the information subject to disposal.
Cookies and Related Technology
We may use browser cookies, beacons, pixel tags, scripts, and other similar technologies from time to time to support the functionality of our Sites and Services. A cookie is a piece of information contained in a very small text file that is stored in your Internet browser or elsewhere on your hard drive. Cookies are transferred from our Sites to your computer, phone or tablet, and allow us to identify your device whenever you return to our Sites. These technologies provide a better experience when you use our Sites and Services, and allow us to improve our services. We may also use analytic software, such as Google Analytics and others, to help better understand how our Sites function on your device(s) and for other analytical purposes. To learn more about how Google uses data when you use our Sites, see How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps(opens in a new tab/window). You can opt-out of Google Analytics by installing Google's opt-out browser add-on here https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout(opens in a new tab/window).
Below is an overview of the types of cookies and related technology we deploy, and your choices.
Beacons. Our Sites and e-mails may contain small electronic files known as beacons (also referred to as web beacons, clear GIFs, pixel tags and single-pixel GIFs) that permit us to, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other website-related statistics. Beacons in e-mail marketing campaigns allow us to track your responses and your interests in our content, offerings and web pages. You may use the tools in your device to disable these technologies as well.
- http://networkadvertising.org/(opens in a new tab/window)
- http://optout.aboutads.info/(opens in a new tab/window)
- http://youradchoices.com/(opens in a new tab/window)
We provide you the ability to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use, storage, and disclosure of your personal information. For California residents, please click here to understand how to exercise your rights.
- Right of Correction. Regardless of where you live, you may submit a request that we correct or update the information we have about you.
- Right to Change Preferences. Regardless of where you live, you may change your choices for subscriptions, newsletters, and alerts.
- Right to Unsubscribe from First American Marketing and Advertising Communications. Regardless of where you live, you may choose whether you want to receive marketing and advertising from us. Click here(opens in a new tab/window) to submit an unsubscribe request.
- Right to Control Advertising and Online Tracking. Regardless of where you live, you have a right to control how your personal information is tracked online. To learn more about these rights, see Cookies and Related Technologies.
- Right of Non-Discrimination. You have a right to exercise your rights under this section free of discrimination. First American will not discriminate against you in any way if you choose to exercise your rights under this section.
California Consumer Privacy Act Rights and DisclosuresOnly applies to CA residents
The following disclosures are made pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act and its implementing regulations ("CCPA").
Relevant CCPA Definitions
|Personal Information||Information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, to you or your household.|
|Sensitive personal information||Social security number, driver's license number, state identification card, passport number, account log-in and password, financial account and password, debit or credit card number and access code, precise geolocation information, race, ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, union membership, the content of your mail, email or texts other than those communications with us, genetic data, biometric information, health information, and information that concerns your sex life or sexual orientation.|
|Sell, sale, or sold||Selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by other means, your personal information to a third party for money or other valuable consideration.|
|Share, shared, or sharing||Sharing, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring, or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, your personal information to a third party for cross-context behavioral advertising, whether or not for monetary or other valuable consideration, including transactions between us and a third party for cross-context behavioral advertising for our benefit in which no money is exchanged.|
Summary of Categories of Personal Information Collected and Disclosed
Below is a summary of the categories of personal information we have collected from and about you in the twelve months preceding the date this Policy was last updated. Also included in this description is personal information about: (1) why the personal information is collected and used; (2) whether the information is "sold" or "shared" to third parties; (3) whether the information is disclosed for a business purpose to third parties; (4) whether the information includes "sensitive personal information"; and (5) a description of how long we may keep your information. To learn more about the personal information we will collect on an ongoing basis, please see our Notice of Collection above.
Categories of Personal Information
- Identifiers (Includes Sensitive Personal Information): Includes personal information such as your name, alias, postal address, and telephone number, unique personal identifier, online identifier, IP address, account log-in, email address, account name, social security number, driver's license number, passport number.
- Personal Characteristics (Includes Sensitive Personal Information): Includes personal information such as your signature, race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religious creed, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, military / veteran status, marital status, age, genetic characteristics, ancestry, or reproductive health decision making.
- Financial Information (Includes Sensitive Information): Includes personal information such as bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information with a required access or security code, password, or credentials.
- Internet or other Electronic Network Activity Information: Includes personal information such as network activity information, browsing history, search history, and information regarding your interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement.
- Commercial Information: Includes personal information such as records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- Biometric Information (Includes Sensitive Personal Information): Includes personal information such as fingerprints, handprints, facial recognition data, and voice recordings.
- Professional and Educational Information (Includes Sensitive Personal Information): Includes information that is not "publicly available personally identifiable information," current or prior job history or performance evaluations.
- Audio, Electronic, Visual, Thermal, and Related Information: Includes personal information such as photographs, video recordings, recorded messages, and in some cases personal temperature where appropriate.
Category Disclosure Information
|How do we collect this information?||Identifiers*||We collect this personal information directly from you or automatically from your device(s). We also may collect this personal information from third parties such as service providers and government agencies.|
|Personal Characteristics*||We collect this personal information directly from you. We also may collect this personal information from other parties, such as service providers.|
|Internet or other Electronic Activity Information||We collect this personal information directly from you or automatically from your device(s). We also may collect this personal information from other parties such as service providers.|
|Professional and Educational Information*||We collect this personal information directly from you. We also may collect this personal information from other parties such as service providers and government agencies.|
|Audio, Electronic, Visual, Thermal and Related Information||We collect this personal information directly from you or automatically from your device(s). We also may collect this personal information from other parties such as service providers.|
|Does this include sensitive personal information?||*Denotes which categories may include sensitive personal information.
The categories of sensitive personal information we collect include social security number, driver's license number, passport number, racial or ethnic origin, health information, and bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information with a required access or security code, password, or credentials.
We do not process your sensitive personal information other than for the purposes permitted under the CCPA, such as providing the Sites to you; providing the Services you requested; and fulfilling a transaction you requested or servicing your policy.
|What is our business purpose for collecting your information?||See How Do We Use Your Personal Information above.|
|Who do we disclose this information to?||See How Do We Share Your Personal Information above.|
|How long do we keep the information?||We keep your personal information for so long as is reasonably necessary and proportionate to the original purpose for which we collected the personal information. We base our criteria in determining appropriate retention periods on regulatory and legal requirements, contractual requirements, business needs, and the expectations of you.|
Notice of Disclosure for a Business Purpose
To learn more about the categories of personal information we have disclosed for a business purpose about California residents over the last twelve months, including the categories of parties with whom we have disclosed that personal information, please see What Type of Personal Information Do We Collect About You and How Do We Share Your Personal Information.
Notice of Sale or Sharing
Under CCPA and its implementing regulations, you have a Right to Know, Right to Correct, Right to Delete, and Right to Non-Discrimination. We do not offer a right to opt out of sale or sharing or limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information because we do not sell or share your personal information or use your sensitive personal information other than for permitted purposes under the CCPA. We provide you the ability to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use, storage, and disclosure of your personal information. Please note that for some of these rights, such as the Right to Know, Right to Correct, and Right to Delete, we will verify your identity before we respond to your request. To verify your identity, we will generally match the identifying personal information provided in your request with the information we have on file about you. Depending on the sensitivity of the personal information related to your rights request, we may also utilize more stringent verification methods to verify your identity, including but not limited to requesting additional information from you and/or requiring you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury.
- Right to Know. You have a right to ask that we disclose to you the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you including a description of the categories of sources from which we have collected that personal information, the business or commercial purpose for collecting or sharing that information, and the categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed that personal information. You have the right to receive this information in a format, to the extent technically feasible, that is portable, usable, and allows you to transmit the personal information to a person without impediment. You may submit this request by clicking here or by calling toll-free at 1-866-718-0097(opens in a new tab/window). You may also designate an authorized agent to submit a request on your behalf.
- Right to Correct. You have a right to ask that we correct your personal information, subject to appropriate legal exceptions. You may submit this request by clicking here or by calling toll-free at 1-866-718-0097(opens in a new tab/window). You may also designate an authorized agent to submit a request on your behalf.
- Right to Delete. You have a right to ask that we delete your personal information, subject to appropriate legal exceptions. You may submit this request by clicking here(opens in a new tab/window) or by calling toll-free at 1-866-718-0097. You may also designate an authorized agent to submit a request on your behalf.
- Right of Non-Discrimination. You have a right to exercise your rights under this section free of discrimination. First American will not discriminate against you in any way if you choose to exercise your rights under this section.
If permitted or required by applicable law, you may exercise your privacy rights through an authorized agent. If we receive your request from an authorized agent, we may ask for evidence that you have provided such agent with a power of attorney or that the agent otherwise has valid written authority to submit requests to exercise rights on your behalf. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request, please submit the Authorized Agent Form.
If you are a California resident under the age of 18, California Business and Professions Code § 22581 permits you to request and obtain removal of content or information you have publicly posted on any of our Sites. To make such a request, please send an email with a detailed description of the specific content or information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that such a request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information you have posted and there may be circumstances in which the law does not require or allow removal even if requested.